Test and Diagnostic Overview
Our Test Philosophy
Customers increasingly expect more from today’s Contract Electronics Manufacturers (CEM) than just PCB assembly. When only the assembly work is contracted out the benefits are, while still potentially significant, less rewarding than if the test and diagnostics are also carried out by the CEM, freeing the customer’s valuable electronics engineers for other duties. Receiving fully tested PCB assemblies increases confidence and reduces timescales in the subsequent stages of system integration, helping achieve on-time delivery to the end customer.
The most appropriate level and nature of testing can be determined to balance complexity, style and product function. The route to cost effective testing includes the ability to provide comprehensive diagnostics such that manufacturing or component defects can be corrected in the minimum of time and least impact on the production cycle. High speed and high coverage tests will only be rewarded if faults are diagnosed and remedied quickly. Today’s CEM is increasingly being asked to meet those demands and that is why Ultra Electronics Energy have a broad range of test services.
The Benefits of Investment
Using state-of-the-art equipment, our test engineers develop the optimum regime of test procedures and functions for each individual product in order to reduce debug and overall product manufacturing time. As products become increasingly complex the test strategy must also become more comprehensive, addressing the progressively increasing levels of functionality found on today’s PCB’s.
By analyzing trends in test results our Test Engineers are able to propose improvements to the production process and / or the product design, thereby improving production yield and potentially extending product life in the field.
Range of Test Services
Depending on a production type and customer requirements we can offer various test systems.
Automated functional/In-circuit test:
- Aeroflex IFR4220 ATE – designed for fast in-circuit component and functional test. Highest level of fault coverage and testing in the shortest possible time. Because of the high cost of fixtures and programming it is used to test boards manufactured in large quantities.
- Flying Probe Test – Fixtureless testing offering fast time to first test. To be considered when production volume is low and to manufacture an ICT fixture is financially unviable.
- Manual Test – Manual test using various bench test equipment. Most time consuming but offers the fastest time to first test.
- PROM Programming Service – Off board and in-circuit device programming using various programming equipment: JTAG, Actel, Dataman, Xilinx etc.
- Environmental test – Temperature and vibration (ESS). Environmental stress screening involves detection of hidden defects by applying vibration, thermal cycling to powered or unpowered assemblies. The surviving components upon completion of screening can be assumed to have a higher reliability than similar unscreened units.
- Manufacturing Quality Inspection – X-Ray Inspection and Automatic Optical Inspection.
- Customer Returns & Repairs – Alongside warranty repairs Ultra Electronics Energy offers additional services for assemblies manufactured on site or by other suppliers – Component level diagnostics, Rework/repair, Test to customer requirements and Modification in accordance to customer’s drawings.
Design and implementation of optimum test solutions
Ultra Electronics Energy can provide the conversion of a customer Product Performance Specification into a test strategy and test solution be it a single PCB or multi-level assembly. This can be via a custom design or the customers’ own test method and equipment.